February 8, 2019

Bujumbura?!

Hello from Kigali, Rwanda! Because we’re such a far-flung family – living on three different continents – it’s a treat for me to spend this week with daughter Caroline and son-in-law Will, teachers at Kigali International Community School. [** Mom brag alert **] I’m so proud of both of them and the way they’re helping shape Rwanda’s emerging young leaders in this first post-genocide generation.

But this is actually a mid-point stop because I’m on my way tomorrow to Bujumbura, Burundi (the county just next door) to teach biblical interpretation to Master of Theology students at Hope Africa University for the next two weeks. The course starts at 8am on Monday. Or not, depending on how organized we all manage to be on that first day. And there’s an extra layer of challenge because this a new country for me and I don't know what contexts these students minister in, what they've studied previously, how able they are in English v. French, or really much of anything else about this situation. I'd love for you to pray that I stay flexible and gracious (and healthy and safe) with all the unknowns!

Then my last weekend in Burundi, 23-24 Feb, I’m hoping to visit the Serge medical team who are doing amazing things in much more remote Kibuye. (You can see lots of stories on their team blog.) Maybe offer an English Bible study for the team, preach at the local French-speaking church, who knows... I'm trying to be uncharacteristically malleable during this whole Burundi trip.

While all that’s going on I’m also trying to make some plans for this summer. Serge Ireland recently cancelled our ‘Encounter’ discipleship and outreach program for college students for June-July. A good call on their part, I think, due to various local circumstances. We hope to be back up and running next summer. But it's thrown me into something of a tizzy personally because it was one of the three ‘big rocks’ in my teaching schedule for 2019, along with Burundi and then India in September, joyful opportunities to be in the classroom face-to-face with students. It’s also one of the very few times each year I can join in on an existing project with people nearby rather than having to create something myself. (My job involves a lot of Making Stuff Happen. Mostly in other countries.) So a bit more wear and tear on me in that sense. Traveling out of Ireland is also complicated this June because I need to be available for an immigration status renewal interview. So now I’m prayerfully seeking out other opportunities for July. What unexpected avenues might the Lord be opening up??? Two tantalizing possibilities so far, one in East Africa, one in Southeast Asia. Please pray for me to hear God well and for wisdom to know how to respond to either of these opportunities, or neither if he just wants me to stay home.

In and around all that I’m keeping busy helping get Theologians Without Borders up and running, teaching my Fuller Seminary courses online (at the moment, 23 students for biblical interpretation), connecting with Dún Laoghaire Presbyterian Church (we’re about to run a Lenten spiritual formation course based on Serge’s ‘Sonship’ curriculum), and just enjoying life in Ireland.

As always, I’m deeply aware of and grateful for the prayer, support and encouragement from so many of you laboring in your parts of the Lord’s vineyard so that I can be here doing the things he’s asked me to do in my part. Thank you! So privileged to work with and for you in his Kingdom!




Family News

Nana loved spending Christmas in Virginia with 11-month-old James (and his parents)! So blessed to play with my grandson and see the sweet, wonderful ways Linnea and William are loving and nurturing him.




And now also blessed to see in person Caroline and Will's work at Kigali International Community School (KICS).



But wait, there's more...

A new little granddaughter arriving in June!



Nana's part is to speed up my plans to purchase a townhouse in Richmond, VA, as my long-term home base – now needed in time for Caroline and Will to arrive from Rwanda in May to get ready for Baby Girl's birth.

Please pray that all the logistics come together in good time!