February 2, 2013

1 February 2013

Whatever the new normal is for the Blacks, I (Stephanie) think we’ve settled into it. After two years of upheaval and transition since Bill’s conversion to Orthodoxy in January 2011, including his move to a new ministry setting (St Paul’s University) and a new mission agency (The Antioch Partners), I think we’ve finally arrived. We’re at that happy place where a schedule of our classes at two different institutions plus ministry commitments at two different churches is posted on the refrigerator so that each day we can figure out who’s going, who’s coming and whose turn it is to cook! We’re also thrilled to have a new-to-us car so that Bill can get back and forth to St Paul’s – a wonderful gift from First Presbyterian Church in Reading, PA. OK. Stop for a moment. Collect myself. Breathe.

Which is good, because the rest of 2013 represents a certain amount of upheaval of a different sort – lots of travel. I’ll wind up this term’s classes at Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology a bit early at the end of February, then spend March and April in Ethiopia teaching Advanced Hermeneutics at our former school, the Ethiopian Graduate School of Theology. It’s been five years (!) since we lived and worked in Addis Ababa, with only very brief visits back since. I’m grateful for this more extended opportunity to reconnect with people and ministry in Ethiopia. And after that it will be time for our biannual ‘home assignment’ (furlough) from May till early August. I’ll be in Cambridge, UK, the first week or so in May, then Bill and I will meet up in the US in time for Caroline’s graduation from the University of Virginia. Looking forward to seeing many of you along the way!


But first we have lots of teaching to do. I have my usual two masters-level courses this term, along with supervising two PhD theses and the usual committee work. Last year’s low student intake is showing up in small sizes in the upper-level courses I teach. I only have two students in Exegesis of Greek Narrative and seven in my 1 Corinthians class. Fortunately they’re all quite good students, so at least we can keep some lively interaction going in the classroom. (Keeps the teacher interested as well as the students!) And with fewer students I can focus more on the specific needs of individual students in a multi-national, multi-ethnic classroom. In Greek class one of my two is a woman from DR Congo who speaks Swahili as her mother tongue, plus French. The other is an Ethiopian man who speaks Amharic and struggles in English. So I’ve found that I can have them translate from Greek into their mother tongues and if they speak ve-e-ery slowly I can check to see if they’ve understood the passage correctly and get the translation basically right, even though I can’t always hear the details. We’re enjoying our Greek-English-Swahili-French-Amharic lessons and I think all three of us are learning something.


In 1 Corinthians class this week we got to chapter 7. I usually anticipate a good bit of student interest when we reach this chapter since it deals with marriage, singleness, divorce – and of course, sex. But no, they surprised me. The hot discussion topic in class was what I usually consider Paul’s ‘throw away’ comment at the very end of the chapter: “A wife is bound as long as her husband lives. But if the husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, only in the Lord.” (7:39). That’s because three of the seven students in the class come from ethnic communities where ‘wife inheritance’ (levirate marriage) is still the normal practice. As Christians they’re trying to figure out how to respect their cultural context while mitigating the worst abuses of it. So they were saying things like, “Paul seems to think marriage ends at the husband’s death. But in our culture a woman is still considered married to a particular man even if he has died. On what basis is Paul saying this?” “Is this one of Paul’s ‘commands from the Lord’ or one of Paul’s ‘opinions’? So do we have to apply it exactly as he says, or is this just his own preference?” “Traditionally we let the widow decide which of the husband’s brothers she want to marry. So in that way she’s ‘free to marry whoever she wishes’. Is that OK?” Tell me, as the teacher what would you have said in this discussion?!


Lots of other good stuff going on as well. A quick summary: Bill is teaching Systematic Theology and Church History to undergraduates and History of Monasticism and History of Eastern Christianity to masters students at the St Paul’s main campus this term, plus Research Methodology at the city-centre extension site, along with supervising several students in independent studies and thesis work. He’s pleased to have finished the first draft of plans for new PhD programmes in Church History and Theology at St Paul’s – now waiting for the next round of feedback from his colleagues. He preached last week at the Orthodox ‘cathedral’ (a small one!) in Nairobi. And he’s really enjoying the weekly rehearsal-cum-dinner-parties for the renaissance music group he sings with. For me perhaps the greatest joy is still the biweekly women’s Bible study I lead at my local church – such an amazing fellowship of women with an astounding variety of cultural backgrounds and ages. I’ve also started a new group of women at church who are reading through the Bible chronologically together in 2013. I continue to serve as ‘Ministry Head’ for the team of SIM missionaries seconded to higher-education or healthcare institutions in Kenya. And last but certainly not least in terms of time commitment, I started my online MA in Teaching English for Academic Purposes last month. I’m definitely feeling that disorientation of trying to find my way in an entirely new environment (my first online course, my first School of Education course, etc., etc. – makes me more sympathetic to our own new students!), but I’m finding the content extremely useful.

In our world this month…


Bill’s new wheels – a 1995 Toyota Rav4. It’s sort of purple. He loves it.




SIM Kenya ‘Institutional Partnerships’ Team


The Nairobi-based portion of our team gets together quarterly for lunch and a good chat – here we are on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in January

As Ministry Head for the team, I was leading the discussion. The person with the camera said, “Look animated”!



Such a great group of colleagues on this team, multiple nationalities, a wide range of ministries: theological educators, physicians, nurses, a physical therapist, psychologists, a computer programmer developing a system to digitalize patient records in Kenyan hospitals, a neuropsychology PhD who teaches and does brain research, another colleague  involved in both youth education and national politics, and more.

Bill with his undergraduate Systematic Theology class during afternoon break at St Paul’s University


Students, faculty and staff leaving last Friday’s morning chapel service at St Paul’s 


St. Paul’s Anglican chaplain speaking during chapel


Back at the NEGST/AIU campus here’s the faculty building, my office marked with a star so you can see where I (Stephanie) spend LOTS of time


Except I’m not actually there at that moment because I have rushed over to the campus café in time to grab a plate of rice and beans…

 

…to carry to the Ladies Fellowship Committee meeting where we are planning our next monthly gathering – women students, staff, faculty wives, and I’m the faculty rep


A lot of our ministry takes place outside of class, in individual mentoring and in campus groups like this

Here’s my on-campus ‘Grace Group’ (weekly spiritual formation group) visiting a member’s home earlier today to welcome a new baby in culturally appropriate ways


Cake

Chai (Kenyan tea)


Listening to words of wisdom and encouragement from the only grandmother in the group (not me – my assigned tasks were to bake the cake, pray over the baby and take photos!)


Gifts


And an opportunity for each person to have their photo taken with the baby (that’s me!)