December 3, 2012

2 December 2012



Christmas greetings from Kenya! Fortunately, once the regular teaching term is done the rest of our work – marking papers, preparing next term’s courses, developing new ministry opportunities – is fairly portable. So Bill and I (Stephanie) are about to take our work on the road and spend the month of December in the US. If we travel early enough in December it costs about half as much, so we’re leaving tomorrow night. Yes, we’ll be that middle-aged couple lugging computers, books, and stacks of student papers all the way from Africa via London to America through endless rounds of airport security. But oh-so-worth-it to spend Christmas with family! First we’ll be with Linnea and William in their home in Fairfax, VA, then with friends in Charlottesville, VA (and a quick check on our house there), then in Athens, GA, with Bill’s sister, and finally Hilton Head, SC, with Bill’s parents and Caroline, Linnea and William for a real family Christmas. The last time we spent Christmas in the US was 2009, and before that, 2003 – it’s a rare treat. I have to confess, I’m not sure whether I’m more excited about the holiday food, or the post-Christmas sales!

Bill’s teaching term at St Paul’s University ended last week and mine at the Nairobi Graduate School of Theology (NEGST, part of Africa International University) ended the week before. Which is why those exam papers and final projects are flooding in at the moment. Bill’s new position at St Paul’s has been one of the biggest blessings for us in 2012. Not only is he teaching in both the Church History and Theology departments, but he’s also been given responsibility for the new PhD programs St Paul’s wants to develop. This past month Bill’s been busy brainstorming curriculum for the PhD’s in Systematic Theology and Church History and trying to get all his colleagues and department heads moving forward together. (Is this why they say working with academicians is like herding cats?!) And he’s found he really enjoys the St Paul’s students. Here’s a bit about one of them that Bill wrote for The Antioch Partners’ Facebook page:

Isaac is a student in my Masters-level class on Theology and Religious Traditions that I teach at St Paul’s University’s downtown Nairobi campus. But Isaac is much more than just a student. Isaac comes from northern Malawi. He’s a husband and a father. And he is a Presbyterian minister serving Christ in the Presbyterian Church of Malawi. In order to get the education he needs, Isaac had to leave his family behind in Malawi and come here to St. Paul’s. Getting a credible theological education is costly for Isaac, but not nearly as much as if he had to travel to the US or the UK to do so. That’s why I am here. I’ve got a PhD from the University of Cambridge and I’m a senior lecturer in Theology and Church History, but I’ve come to Kenya to help my colleagues boost the academic credibility of this nascent university so that the best African Christian leaders stay in Africa and give their lives to serve Christ and his people here. Many of the African students who have their ways paid at great expense to study for the ministry in the US never go back home, or if they do, they discover that their education is irrelevant to the cultural context from which they came. I am part of a growing group of people committed to provide credible theological education for African church leaders that’s relevant for our African context. We still have a ways to go on many levels. But when I see students like Isaac in my class, hope grows that we will see a new generation of African Church leaders equipped in Africa to be engaged and relevant in the service of a gospel that touches the real issues and needs of people who live on this continent rather than having to make do with an ill-fitting imported brand.

However on a sad note, I’ve been grieving this month the deep and unexpected loss of one of my key African colleagues. Dr. Douglas Carew, the Vice-Chancellor (= president) of Africa International University died suddenly in his sleep on 9 Nov. He was 56. I first met Douglas before we moved to Kenya, in his role as chairman of the Accrediting Council for Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA), my other ministry focus. I was so impressed with his giftedness as an organizational leader and with his personal thoughtfulness and integrity that I wanted to work for him. When this teaching position opened up at NEGST, the school Douglas was head of, I jumped at it. Since then I’ve appreciated Douglas’s leadership at NEGST/AIU, but even more especially and personally in ACTEA. I told you last month that the ACTEA leadership had agreed to move forward with some long anticipated restructuring, and that they asked me to return to my accreditation officer role, and that assuming all the new plans were in place I’d agreed to do that in September 2013. Well, Douglas was the key driver and implementer in that restructuring. It’s an open question who can or will step into his shoes, both at NEGST/AIU and in ACTEA. So in both of my ministry areas, I’ve felt the ground shifting under my feet this month.

In spite of this loss, 2012 has ended well for Bill and me in terms of the many opportunities we continue to have to serve God’s kingdom in Africa. What an incredible life we’re privileged to lead, in an incredible place! And we’re so grateful for those of you who share with us the great feeling of being involved in this Kingdom work. Thank you from our hearts for all you do to help.

But I hope the rest of you don’t mind if I remind you that this past fiscal year is the first time in all our years in Africa that we’ve finished the year underfunded. We’re in the process of asking God who the new partners he’s bringing onto this team will be. Our current list of partnership opportunities are in the bar to the left for any of you who in tough economic times might enjoy the ‘affordable luxury’ of having a direct impact in the lives of the next generation of African Christian leaders.

As Bill and I anticipate the joy of traveling to the US to celebrate Christmas with family, may you also be blessed with joyous holidays and the knowledge of God’s love in Jesus Christ given to each of us as the greatest gift of the season.


Looking back at 2012 – Highlights

We loved having Caroline with us during her semester break in January and making the rounds together of our favorite Nairobi tourist spots

Sheldrick Trust to visit the baby elephants rescued when their mothers are killed by poachers or human-wildlife conflict…



...and the Giraffe Centre, where you get to feed and pet the giraffes – if you’re not too nervous!


We also took the opportunity to explore some new-to-us territory – remote Lake Baringo in the Rift Valley…


… and appreciated Caroline’s patience when her parents made the inevitable wrong turn and two-hour unintended detour en route (Yes, this is a traditional part of each trip we drag our last-born daughter along on)

In March Bill was ‘tonsured’ as a reader in the Orthodox Church in Kenya, which means he helps with the liturgy in the services…


… and is part of the choir at the Orthodox cathedral – here on a trip to sing at somebody’s wedding (not entirely sure whose)


March also brought Bill’s parents and sister to visit us in Kenya for the first time – a treat for us to show them our beautiful surroundings




Back to work – here’s Bill presenting a paper in April at a conference in Nairobi sponsored by the Dictionary of African Christian Biography


May’s highlight was Caroline’s ‘faux-mencement’ at the University of Virginia, celebrating the end of four years of undergraduate study


We couldn’t be there for that one, but we’re looking forward to the real thing in May 2013, when she receives her BA and her Master of Teaching degree simultaneously

In June Stephanie made her first ever trip to Israel, accompanying PhD students from NEGST/AIU

Masada
Jordan River baptism site
Camels are just as uncomfortable and smelly to ride as you might think
In July Linnea and William celebrated their first anniversary – in Jamaica, poor things!


We feel so blessed to see them enjoying married life, following the Lord, working hard, and settling into a fruitful life in the Washington, DC, area

Meanwhile, Caroline (back left in this photo) spent the summer in Colorado, helping to lead Cru’s cross-cultural orientation for kids moving to new countries with their families



In August Stephanie traveled to  western Kenya to teach New Testament Greek  at AIU’s extension site



And in September, Bill’s faculty position at St Paul’s University became official and full-time



Since then we’ve just been teaching our hearts out – Stephanie at NEGST/AIU, Bill at St Paul’s, and Caroline doing her student teaching (practice teaching) at Walker Middle School in Virginia. I think all three of us are more than ready for the Christmas break!