Hello from Dublin! Global
pandemic, economic recession, social justice protests, hurricanes and
fires, massive explosion in Beirut, cantankerous election in my home
country… No, evidently that was not enough to make 2020 memorable. So I broke my ankle. Dang.
I don’t even have a dramatic story to tell about the accident, just lost
my footing on some damp outdoor stairs coming down from the metro
station and landed square on my foot. OK, three police cars and one
paramedic on motorbike responding was a bit dramatic. Apparently there
was nothing else happening that morning in posh Shankill village. (Fun fact: it’s where Bono lives.)
Ambulance ride to the emergency room, surgery to put in metal bits, and
a couple of nights in the hospital. It’s my first experience in the
Irish public health system. Due to Covid-19 I couldn’t have a friend
with me or any visitors, but the cheerful chatty skillful Irish medical
staff took great care of me.
Now I’m home and coming to terms with an enforced slowdown. I’m in a
non-weight bearing cast until at least Sept 9, then hopefully graduate
to a walking boot. Ironically I moved from my one-floor apartment to a
two-story cottage on the church grounds on Monday 20 July and then broke
my ankle on that Thursday! Makes things a little more complicated...
Fortunately I'm getting lots of good help and cheer from the Serge team here, from Irish friends in my Meetup groups, and from my pastor's family
in the manse next door. Not how I'd hoped to spend August – I had to
cancel the sailing lessons among other things – but not as bad as it
could be.
Here's my list why if you MUST break your ankle a good time to do it is during a pandemic shutdown:
- All my international ministry travel for the rest of the year was already cancelled
- I can’t go visit my grandchildren anyway (*sigh*)
- No FOMO because no one else is doing anything interesting either
- Since everyone has time on their hands they’re happy to pop by and visit me
- All the restaurants are delivering
Please do pray for good healing, for me to find ways to do life patiently and well in these circumstances, and for the Father to keep my heart firmly fixed on him. Thank you! Now I think it’s time for the next dose of paracetamol and another nap…