October 12, 2018

Namaste from Ireland!

Namaste (hello) from Ireland! This was supposed to be my September update from somewhere in South Asia. But because of increased sensitivities in that region we decided it was better for me to wait and post this once I got home to Ireland. I’m also not going to mention the institution I visited.

But I was in my happy place, my annual trip to spend the month of September doing biblical hermeneutics with a new crop of emerging leaders. The first time I came here was in 2005, again in 2008, and I’ve been visiting every year since 2014. So this lovely community has become part of me over the years. I know nearly all the current students, I stay in the same apartment each time, walk alongside the same colleagues (several of them former students!), shop in the same places, eat the same foods, and attend the same church and home group. In Ireland my friends and teammates were saying, “So sorry that now you have to go to [that country] and make another big cultural transition.” Nope. It feels like an old shoe. It’s Ireland that still feels new and different! But what really feels wonderful and familiar is being able to pick up relationships with these young leaders and with colleagues and church friends. I get to see them grow personally and spiritually from year to year. And I’m the beneficiary of their sweet welcome each time I come back. (And food. Sometimes former students or their wives bring me special foods they’ve prepared and want to share with me. Yum!)

One exciting addition this year was a new partnership between this institution and an indigenous outreach organization. As a result, ten of the thirty students I got to know have spent years in primarily M*sl1m or H!nd* areas and are now having a break for study and further leadership development. Their presence made our group discussions all the more stimulating and immediately relevant to local contexts. And I felt the responsibility of helping prepare them to use God's word well as they move forward. Certainly daunting, but a great opportunity.

Being in one place for the month of September also gave me a chance to catch my breath after a wild spate of travel from the end of July through August. First I went to Greece for EPC World Outreach’s ‘family gathering', held once every few years. Both R&R and a chance to connect with other EPC people doing similar things. Then in mid-August I was in Kenya for Serge Africa’s regional retreat. It was my first time back to Kenya since I left in 2013, so that was sort of a big deal. I was a tiny bit apprehensive but there were some sweet reunions with friends and colleagues. And I gave a talk at the retreat on Serge’s value of ‘ministry from vulnerability.’ (Yes, learned of necessity through the events of the past few years, so I might as well share what God's taught me!) But my primary purpose for being there was to make plans for future partnerships where I can come help on the theological education side in places where Serge teams are doing a variety of other things, mostly medical work. I'm planning to do this in Burundi in February 2019. And we’re hoping to do something in the Democratic Republic of Congo “after we figure out what’s happening with Ebola in our area right now,” they said. (I figure the people who are in a position to make statements like that are the real missionaries!)

At the end of August I went to Prague, Czech Republic, for the biennial meeting of the Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians (FEET). Since I’ve worked widely in Africa and have spent time in South Asia and did my PhD in the UK, I have some sense of what’s happening in theological education in those regions. But what I don’t know much about is what’s happening in Central and Eastern Europe. This conference gave me a chance to listen and learn who’s doing what where so that I can be an informed resource for Serge as needed. And of course, Prague is a fabulous place to visit – so I won’t deny I managed to enjoy it!

Sure, this much travel is challenging. But I’m just so thankful to be back in this sort of role after a gap of several years – and so appreciative of those of you who pray and give to make it possible, thank you!! – that it doesn’t feel draining. (OK, it did feel a bit draining at 2:30 am in the Dubai airport during my layover. But there was Starbucks.)

And most importantly, I get to see these amazing South Asian leaders grow in our month together, and then from year to year, in their knowledge and character and their ability to read and interpret the Bible. “May the God of peace… that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen” (Heb 13:20-21). Such a privilege to be there as it happens!


Since I travel in South Asia on a tourist visa it's good to do touristy things. Which is why those of you following my social media saw me having so much fun.
It's a sacrifice, but I'm always willing to serve ;)