As you’ve probably heard, in my new role as a missionary 'theological education specialist' I’ll be based with Serge's team in Dublin, Ireland. Sounds a bit random, I know. But in the Lord’s wisdom, the Republic of Ireland is actually a great place for me to be home-based with Serge. I’ll help train people planting new churches among Ireland’s post-Catholic and unevangelized communities (see more below), and it puts me five time zones and seven hours by plane closer to Africa, Asia and post-Christian Europe, where for most of each year I’ll be teaching and helping with various aspects of leadership training for church planting. And, I get the personal support and encouragement of being part of Serge’s team in Dublin. It’s a win-win-win.
Or, I will do all that, as soon as God puts together the sending team for this new ministry. Maybe you sense he’s nudging you to be part of this? Thank you! One-time gifts are great, and ongoing monthly or yearly pledges are even better, because it’s that assurance of ongoing support that tells Serge and World Outreach when they can ‘release’ me to move overseas. I hope to have enough promises for ongoing support by the end of the year so that I can begin in January 2017. But I won’t get to go unless those promises are made. Would you be willing to prayerfully consider what role God may be asking you to play in this work? Thanks!
My big news right now is that I’m just back from a whirlwind one-week visit to Dublin and the Serge team there to begin to see how I can fit into what they’re doing in church planting and theological education. I got to meet most of the Serge people at their prayer day when I arrived on Wednesday (Apr 13), had a wonderful time staying with and getting to know Tom & Vicki Gilliam, the Dublin team leaders for Serge, met leaders of Irish Bible Institute in Dublin on Thursday, met with the Gilliams’ Irish pastor on Friday, attended a day-long conference on 'history, faith and the arts in Ireland' on Saturday, worshipped with a new Irish Presbyterian church (a recent church plant) on Sunday, drove to Belfast, Northern Ireland, with Tom on Monday to meet with the principal and the academic director of Belfast Bible College, and flew home on Tuesday (Apr 19). Crazy, but it was great. I think the biggest and sweetest surprise for me was discovering how much they want me there and how many ideas they have for things they're hoping I can help with based on my theological education background and ministry experience. It's nice to be wanted!
Now for the immediate future my main responsibility - besides teaching my online courses for Fuller Theological Seminary (which I love) and writing the thesis for my MA in higher-education ESL (which, um, I rarely get around to working on) - is to keep taking steps forward to discover the support team God’s bringing together for this ministry. I’ve been reaching out to churches and individuals, including some of you. This weekend I’ll have a display table at the Mid-Atlantic Presbytery meeting of my Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC), and in June I’ll go before the EPC’s annual General Assembly to be commissioned as a missionary with EPC World Outreach. Please pray with me for the right balance between trusting God for the outcome in terms of support-raising and doing the work I need to do. It’s a challenge spiritually and emotionally, as you can probably imagine. Yeah.
And while you’re praying, here’s my upcoming travel schedule, which I’d love your prayer for as well:
- April 29-30 EPC Mid-Atlantic presbytery - Richmond, VA
- May 12-17 Visiting friends and long-time partners - Reading, PA
- May 28 - June 4 Triennial conference for all member of Serge - Seville, Spain (my chance to start getting to know people and exploring how I can serve Serge's various fields in terms of theological education)
- June 21-25 EPC General Assembly, Livonia, MI (World Outreach commissioning, Thursday, June 23)
- June 30 - July 31 Teaching hermeneutics at South Asia Institute of Advanced Christian Studies (SAIACS) - Bangalore, India
Thank you so much! I’m putting one foot in front of the other in trust that this is God’s call on my life at this point, and waiting – more or less patiently on any given day – to see how he’s going to make it happen. So grateful for your encouragement along the way.