November 28, 2014

Time and Sand


Time and sand… That was my take-away from the MTI debriefing and re-entry seminar for cross-cultural workers I attended the week before last in Colorado Springs. I can’t tell you how great it felt to be with a roomful of people who ‘get’ you, who understand the feelings and upheaval that go along with returning to the US after years overseas, especially when you don’t know what the next stage of life will bring. We used Sara Grove’s song ‘Painting Pictures of Egypt one morning as part of our reflection, and I think it just about perfectly sums up where I am right now. Like God’s people being led out of Egypt and looking back with longing, there’s a necessary and transformational period of ‘time and sand’ ahead before the promised future. But no lie… it feels a bit dry.

From that perspective, my trip to Kenya in October was an oasis—despite the fact that my passport was stolen on the plane between Washington, DC, and Amsterdam making me a day late arriving, and then the taxi that was to meet me at the Nairobi airport was waylaid by an imposter before I arrived! Nevertheless I spent a week leading a wonderful team in an on-site visit to a seminary in western Kenya as part of their accreditation with the Association for Christian Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA). Then I had a few days to catch up with friends, former students and colleagues, and my church in Nairobi. Like a long drink of water from a well. Thanks, friends.

Now I’m at home in Charlottesville, Virginia, for about the next six months, continuing to learn what it means to live in America again. While I'm here I teach English occasionally, preach and speak sometimes, and volunteer a bit with Chinese international students at the University of Virginia. I’ve connected with a lovely small Presbyterian church nearby. I’m also trying to finish up my MA in Teaching English for Academic Purposes (the higher ed specialization within ESL), and I’ll be doing some writing for ACTEA and some editing for the African Journal of Evangelical Theology (AJET). In April-May I’ll teach an online course for Fuller Theological Seminary. So, lots of little bits and pieces, but mostly I try to rest and heal, and wait and listen for what the Lord has in store for my longer term future. I can tell you about three ‘way stations’ on the journey ahead, that I know about so far…

In late January, I’ll go before the Presbytery of the MidAtlantic in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church to be examined to transfer my ordination into the EPC. It’s a big deal, partly because on a personal level I’ve had nothing but good experiences in the Presbyterian Church (USA) so it represents another sad good-bye, and partly because it would make me the first woman ‘teaching elder’ (minister) in the presbytery. (Really?! Do I want to do that?) Eventually I’d like to apply to the EPC’s denominational sending agency, World Outreach, but their policy prohibits them from having a substantive conversation with me or giving me information about specific teaching opportunities overseas until I’ve been divorced for a year. That means July 2015. So I’m waiting.

Meanwhile from 23 June-2 Aug 2015, God willing, I’ll be in China teaching English with English Language Institute/China (ELIC, elic.org), a non-profit organization that sends Christians to teach in Asia. With ELIC's summer program I'll have a classroom full of Chinese educators who teach English in government schools throughout the country. But for me it’s also a vision trip exploring whether God might be leading me to Asia for the longer term, particularly since this is a part of the world where divorce is less of a cultural barrier than it is in Africa

Then in October 2015 I’ve been invited back to the South Asian Institute of Advanced Christian Studies (SAIACS) in Bangalore, India, to teach the same four-week hermeneutics course I taught last July. I love SAIACS, so this is a pleasure. I'm trusting that in his usual amazing way the Lord will provide the airfare. And then SAIACS will cover room and board while I’m there. More about all that closer to the time.

So that’s my bulletin from this stage of the journey, as you and I move together into the season of Advent and expectation. Slow, steady steps. Trust. Waiting. And lots of time and sand.


Autumn travels

No, really I wasn't trying to go to the Rijksmuseum that day, I was trying to go to Kenya. But who knew the museum was next to the American consulate in Amsterdam? New passport by 2:30 pm. Viewing the Rembrandts and Vermeers by 3 pm. #serendipity


And eventually I did make it to Kenya for the accreditation visit.



So lovely to be in Colorado for five days of debrief and re-entry, with people who've been there who can walk you through it (note boxes of tissues on tables!), our silly 'yay duck' and 'yuck duck' representing the 'pair-a-ducks' of gain and loss in moving cross-culturally, and a gorgeous view of Pike's Peak out the window.