********************************
This summer, I got the chance to work with Cru
(formerly Campus Crusade for Christ) teaching the kids’ program for
their pre-field training for missionaries, called XTrack. As XTrack was
something I had never even heard of before my team leader, Polly Anthony, emailed
me out of the blue to ask me to consider it, it’s easy to see how it was God
who led me to this job – and then brought me so amazingly through it. So,
knowing both no one and essentially nothing about Cru (I did all four years of
college, but we even called it something else, and currently have no staff… so
we are kind of our own thing), I arrived in Fort Collins, Colorado, on June 10,
welcomed by an ominous column of smoke billowing across half the sky, looking
increasingly eerie as the sun set through it.
It turned out, though, to be wonderful, the main
reason, being that I had the most fantastic team to work with. Another reason it was great was just how
amazing the kids’ program, MK2MK was. It was something Polly had
collaborated on over the past eight years, culminating in a color-coded binder
about 4 inches thick full of curriculum. And we had 24 MKs aged 5 - 14, split
into kids and teens (well, our teen program was for middle- and high-school, so
it turned out that three of our ‘teens’ were eleven-year-olds going in to 6th
grade) who were a crazy, fun, earnest, hilarious and incredibly competitive
group to teach. XTrack is intended to prepare new missionaries to head out to
their field countries (most of them have already spent a year or two overseas –
what Cru calls ‘Stint,’ or ‘Short Term INTernational’). One of the neat ways
they do this is by having families who have already lived overseas – who either
still do or are back in the States, but still working for Cru – come and serve
as ‘coaches’ for the participants. For the adults, their mornings were spent in
sessions learning about various cross-cultural things, and in the afternoon
they’d meet one-on-one with coaches to talk it out.
What we taught the kids was essentially the same
things the grown-ups were learning – just aimed at a younger audience and most
likely a lot more fun. Our curriculum covered a range of things pertinent to
life as Third Culture Kids, from different people groups to dealing with
transition to leaving well to managing your emotions and stress to how to be a
good friend. The lessons were so creative, though: we used a plant to teach
about transition, three colors of play-doh to explain what a TCK
is, balloons to talk about how to manage stress, ping pong balls to talk
about prayer, and a tray of candy to talk about attitudes and choices.
Some of the activities were geared at helping the kids understand their
parents’ world. For example, they had to ‘raise support’: each kid was
given a continent, and they had to go door to door getting people to give them
a certain number points so that they could be missionaries there. (I was pretty
stingy with my point-giving – I told them I'm just a grad student with no
income, and I only had a certain number of points to give away so I had chosen
only to give to kids going to Africa because it is my favorite.) Then the kids
had to follow up by writing support letters and thank you letters. During our
last week, we had an airport simulation, where the kids had to pack a
bag (really a manila envelope packed with pictures of what they were bringing),
then go through security and customs, get their passports and visas, get a
medical examination and pay a tax. Us leaders were the airport personnel, and
we made things purposely frustrating for the kids, who weren’t sure of where
they were supposed to go next or where to find each thing. It was actually
quite fun to bark orders at the kids all day in various accents – my
co-teacher, Emily, was incredibly hilarious with her fake moustache and fake
Russian accent (which sounded more like the guy from Despicable Me. And, actually, she used this accent most days.).
Another main focus was observing and adapting to a
new culture. We learned the skills for this (Look, Listen, Ask, Think, Do)
and put it into practice in a field trip around Fort Collins. The kids had to
observe what they saw around town (for example, there are a number of
brightly-painted pianos just randomly around the city), make an assumption
about why this was the case (“People in Fort Collins must like music!”), and
find someone to ask if their assumption was true. On another day, we did one of
my favorite activities, called ‘A Meal’s A Meal’. We had a meal made up
of five separate courses, and each course had a different ‘culture’: different
rules to follow, different ways of saying yes and no, different ways to speak.
For example, during the bread stick course, you had to sit on your right hand
and only use your left hand; you couldn't bite off a piece of bread stick, but
had to tear it then put it in your mouth; boys could only use the white sauce
and girls could only use the red sauce; you said yes by snapping and no by
rubbing your nose; and you had to sing everything you said. When the kids came
in, my co-teachers and I were already eating according to these rules, and the
kids had to watch until they felt like they knew what was going on, then join
in. We had the best time making up each of the different ‘cultures,’ and even
more fun having the kids do them – for example, in one course you had to hang a
spaghetti noodle over your ear to signal you were done, and in another, you had
to eat Skittles off the floor and get approval of the Skittle color before you could
swallow it.
One weekend we took our teens camping, and the next
week the kids performed a musical for their parents (called ‘Kids on a Mission,’
of course), and as a reward we surprised them with a Christmas in July party
the next day! As you can probably imagine, in the middle of all of these fun
(albeit sometimes exhausting) things going on, I was having the best time. And
the neat thing as that it wasn’t only the kids and the curriculum that I found
so great – but every part of living at XTrack. We got to know and hang out with
the participants, and became pretty good friends with some of the young,
mid-twenties participants, who are headed to places as varied as Hungary,
Lebanon and East Asia! I really enjoyed being part of an internationally-minded
community again, and especially loved that my past experiences as an MK
were useful and valued – not just with the kids, but for the adults too. One of
the neat things we got to do was share with the adults about what a TCK is, and
then do a panel answering their questions about our lives as TCKs.
I loved my summer in Fort Collins, not only because I
made some life-long friends and got to hang out with some really, really great
kids, but because I know it had an impact. The impact on the kids and families
I got to teach was fairly obvious, but it also had an impact on me. I honestly
think working at XTrack this summer was one of the best ways to prepare for the
student-teaching I am about to be doing this fall, both in the practical
aspects like getting used to working with kids from 8am – 3pm every day, but
also in the attitude it gave me about how I was interacting with these kids.
One thing I loved about working with MK2MK was how they encouraged us to really
get to know the kids, to form heart relationships with each of them, and even
to hang out one-on-one with the teens outside of MK2MK. We also started off
every morning by praying as a group. I know a public middle school is going to
be different than this, of course, and I won’t be expected or asked to do these
things, but I can still have these attitudes and goals about how I interact
with the kids I’m working with for myself, which will enable me to reflect
Christ during my student teaching. Furthermore, spending my summer in this
way further reiterated my desire to work with this demographic of kids (such as
international or Third Culture Kids) in the future, as well as to work in
ministry. We’ll see how that continues to unfold!
I loved the adventure I had this summer, but now I am
moving on to my next adventure: spending the semester student teaching in a
6th grade classroom at Walton Middle School in Charlottesville,
Virginia. This is part of the Master’s of Teaching I am working towards, and
will receive at the end of this next school year. I‘d appreciate your
prayers this semester, as I know I’ll be stretched and challenged in all
sorts of ways!
Thank you,
Caroline
MK2MK at XTrack
With Cru co-staff and friends on our teen camping trip (2nd from left)…
…and with all 24 kids on a field trip around Fort Collins (back row, far left)
Kids color in maps of the 10/40 Window (the area of the world where
most unreached people groups live)
Getting the kids ready for a relay race having to do with learning
about unreached people groups
Using play-doh to explain what Third Culture Kids are
Using balloons to talk about managing stress – and how it’s easier to
do so when your family-members and some grown-ups help you out
Kids try and catch on as Emily demonstrates the right way to eat Skittles
in this course of ‘A Meal’s A Meal’
Some of our kids show off their ‘RAFTs’ – a way to help them remember
how to leave well (Reconciliation, Affirmation, Farewell and Think
destination!)
Emily as an airport security agent as kids fill out their passport
applications
Hanging out with the teens
The kids rocking out as they perform their musical, ‘Kids on a Mission’
A surprise ‘Christmas in July’ party for the kids, where we watched Elf
and ate spaghetti with syrup and candy in it
Emily and I hanging out with our kids at XTrack’s commissioning
ceremony
All the MK2MK kids in downtown Fort Collins