But we
have more than the rains (and their ending!) to be grateful for. The past
several months have also seen a parade of answered
prayers march through our lives. Blind eyes suddenly see, demons get
knocked around, tables and chairs flung about, Pharisees are put in their
place, sinners called by name, and disciples left flustered and struggling to
keep up whenever the Lord passes through. Though matters are by no means
resolved for me (Bill), I am greatly relieved to know that God is right here in
our midst in our situation, and that he is working for His great good even when
days, weeks and months pass when we simply cannot see. Back in October, this is
how Stephanie asked our friends and praying partners to pray for us:
- Prayer for Bill to be shown the future direction the Lord has for him, and for good progress with the church history book he’s writing.
- Prayer for Stephanie teaching hermeneutics and Greek syntax this term at the Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology (NEGST).
- Prayer for Stephanie’s work with the Accrediting Council for Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA), and for ACTEA board members meeting in Nairobi on 11-13 Nov to discuss leadership transitions.
- Prayer for Linnea (23) searching for her first job after graduation, in global public health, in the Washington, DC, area.
Let me tell you what the Lord has done…
First,
thanks for praying for my work on what is becoming a book. Having time on my
hands has enabled me to achieve the kind of focus I need to write. I’m more
than 150 pages into a project that is shaping up to be a history of the understanding of authority in the Christian churches
– Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant and Pentecostal. I haven’t experienced
this sort of satisfying joy in a project since I was in the midst of my thesis
at Cambridge. I’m grateful for the time I’ve been able to devote to it. I only
hope I can find the time to push it to completion.
I’ve
also been looking for a teaching position. Three weeks ago I received a phone
call from the graduate studies director at St
Paul’s University in a town called Limuru, about 30 km/20 miles down the
road from us. I’d applied to St. Paul’s several months ago and had promising
conversations with important people, but their process had been glacial and I
wasn’t expecting to hear anything till after the new year. Suddenly the
director called to ask me if I’d be willing to teach two courses for their modular
Masters of Theology program: Christology
and Soteriology and the History of
Christian Spirituality. I said, Sure, when do you want me? He said, Um, can
you come and start tomorrow? Fortunately, one of the courses I had taught
before, but the history of Christian Spirituality was an empty blackboard for
me. So there I was, three weeks ago, standing in front of a classroom of
students for four hours trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about. That
would have been tolerable, except that I had four to six hours of lectures to prepare and give for every day through the following two
weeks. I was, in that effective British term, ‘shattered’ after two weeks of
intensive teaching, but grateful that I now apparently have a job as an adjunct
lecturer at St. Paul’s University, teaching masters students theology and history,
the very thing I’ve done for the past three years at NEGST. St. Paul’s is a
well-established cooperative school that trains Anglican, Presbyterian,
Methodist and Christian Reformed pastors and church leaders (see more at
www.stpaulslimuru.ac.ke). In this latest and most ironic twist of my ongoing
saga, I now find myself training the new generation of leaders in the
denominations of those churches who have been our main supporters! This is not
yet a done deal, as their process continues to move like tar on a cloudy day. But
my foot is firmly in the door. Thank you for praying.
I
have also gotten more involved in my local Orthodox
church, and have had the opportunity to get to know and work with the
Archbishop of Kenya, His Eminence Makarios. I was invited to give lectures to
two classes on the early church fathers at the nearby Orthodox seminary, which
trains priests from all over eastern and southern Africa. And the Archbishop
invited me last week to go with him on one of his pastoral visits to churches
in the western part of Kenya. So from this past Tuesday through Friday, we were
bouncing over bad roads visiting Orthodox churches, schools and clinics. It was
an astonishing glimpse of what God has been doing in the lives of very ordinary
Kenyans in some very out of the way places. There are more than three hundred
Kenyan priests serving in at least that many churches all across the country. Still
it’s a jolt to come across a sign that says ‘St. Photios Orthodox Church’ out
in the middle of an African nowhere.
Keep
praying, though, as I have realized that all of the change in my life has made
me unsure of my sense of call. Should I carry on and assume that St. Paul’s is
where I am meant to be? Should I continue to push on all doors at the Orthodox
seminary and see if any of them open for me there? Or will one of the US universities
to which I applied for positions teaching early modern European history say ‘We
really want you on our faculty’? If that were to happen, should I take the
opportunity to earn a salary and pay off the educational debt we’ve taken on,
commuting back and forth from Nairobi while Stephanie carries on here? So there
are still many questions. And I welcome your counsel. But like Samuel, I can
put up my ebenezer, my marker stone
of help, and say, ‘Thus far has God
helped us’.
In
the meantime, Stephanie has just finished grading the final assignments for her
Hermeneutics class, finishing a
successful term at NEGST that also included a class of eager second-year Greek students. Stephanie
is a superb teacher, and the students in her classes hold her in high respect
(as well they should!). She is teaching them how to read the Bible, and for
several of them, these classes aren’t just academic requirements – they become
transforming experiences. It is our hope that our input would somehow be useful
in the Lord’s hands in the lives and future ministries of these students. Thank
you for praying for Stephanie in her classes.
And
thank you for praying for the Accrediting
Council for Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA) board members meeting
here in Nairobi on 11-13 November to discuss leadership transitions. One of the
transitions in question is that Stephanie will be leaving her role as ACTEA Accreditation
Officer at the end of this month. She wanted to make sure that the rest of the
leadership team was ready to carry on without her. The meeting went well and Stephanie
pronounced herself satisfied, as well as relieved to be nearing the finish
line. She has done some very significant work for ACTEA, including revising all
of their accreditation standards, which will be used as the benchmark for
theological education in Africa for the next ten or twenty years. Personally
speaking, I don’t think they quite realize how much they are going to miss her.
Again, thank you for praying.
And
lastly, we’d asked you to pray for our firstborn, Linnea, who has been struggling to find her first professional job.
She and William have made a home in Rockville, MD, near where William works as
an engineer. Linnea has had a couple of make-do jobs, most recently at
Starbucks, waiting for something to come through. After a lot of interviews and
a quick trip to Charlottesville to attend a jobs fair, Linnea was offered a place
with one of the companies with whom she interviewed. And then, later the same week
the IT consulting company that was her first choice offered her a position in
their healthcare sector. She was over the moon, as were her parents in faraway
Kenya. She starts in January, and now begins her post-barista career as a
professional woman. Thanks, again, for praying.
As I
traveled the bouncy, rutted backroads of western Kenya with the Archbishop this
past week, I was struck again by all the children and women with no shoes, all
the little huts and houses with no electricity, outdoor kitchens that consisted
of three rocks on which to put a pot to boil water. I saw little churches made
out of sticks and mud and manure, with the people not able to come up with
enough money to buy the metal sheeting for the roof. Almost every home has lost
children to diseases that could have been prevented. I saw children so desperate
to learn how to read and write that they walked ten kilometers to school and
back every day. The archbishop had brought several boxes of new dresses to give
to the wives of priests and teachers and administrators. I thought that was a
strange thing to do until I saw the eyes of these women and realized that they
simply never get anything new or beautiful. This of course contrasts with all
I’ve been hearing from the homeland about so-called
‘black Friday’ or the frenzied attempts to get everyone into the stores to shop
and spend money, and the mindless accumulation of more and more stuff even
though we all know that none of this can make one happy or leave one fulfilled
or bring one peace. So whether it is the material poverty of western Kenyans or
the poverty of mind, heart and soul that just as effectively hollows out the
lives of men, women and children in the Western world, we are all surrounded by
potent reminders of just why we need a savior. Most homes here won’t celebrate
Christmas in the way I’ve grown accustomed to as an American. They can’t afford
to. But sometimes I wonder if the absence of the decorations, or the special
foods, or the various parties or all the presents affords one a clearer view
into the cave where the virgin teenager gave birth to a son. It happened just
as the angel in Joseph’s dream said it would:
“Joseph,
son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child
conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to
name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”
To
which Matthew, the gospel writer, adds this commentary:
All
this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the
prophet: “Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name
him Emmanuel,” which means, ‘God is with us.’ (Matthew 1:21-23)
Incarnation. God with us. In our poverty. To save us
from our sins. May you, too, see the Virgin and her Child with new eyes, and
understand anew just what our God is up to.
And may
you have a wonder-filled feast of the Incarnation.
P.S.
We’re counting the days until Caroline’s
arrival this weekend. You might enjoy reading her take on how MK’s do
international Christmas, on her blog: http://words-of-whimsy.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-am-santa-claus.html.
On the
road with the Archbishop…
Travelling
companions, first night out
Visiting
churches large…
…and
small
Church
interior
Connecting
with local priests
Visiting
church-sponsored schools
Bill’s
perch in the back of the truck
From
which vantage point he was able to add to his collection of ‘favorite church
signs of Western Kenya’
(Spelling
can be difficult.)
House
blessing ceremony
…with a
young observer overhead
Preparing
tea & lunch for the guests
Planting
a banana tree (who knew you plant them so deep?!)
Finally!
Lunch time
On the
road again, heading home
What would an update be without at least one family photo?
Caroline
(front, third from left) with her University of Virginia housemates
(Can’t
wait to have her home for Christmas!)

